1867 Congressional Appropriation. Source: The Statutes at Large, Treaties, and Proclamations of the United States of America, Volume 14. Boston: Little, Brown, and Company, 1868. page 458.
1868 Construction Report. Source: United States Department of the Treasury. Annual Report of the Secretary of the Treasury on the State of the Finances, with Appendices. 1868. page 337.
1878 KATE AND ELLEN CROWLEY. The Maidens Who Take Care of the Saugerties Light. Source: Buffalo Morning Express and Illustrated Buffalo Express (Buffalo, New York), 27 Nov 1878, Wed, Page 2.
1878 – Hudson River Light House – Heroines on Guard – Poughkeepsie Eagle-News
(Poughkeepsie, New York), 28 Nov 1878, Thu, Page 3.
Recollections of early 20th Century:
Interview with Ilah Kaufmann, daughter of keeper Conrad Hawk. Source: Farlekas, Chris. “Life on the Hudson–a rare point of view.” Sunday Record, August 25, 1974. page 11.
Memories of the Saugerties Lighthouse by Vivian Jensen Chapin. Source: Lighthouse Digest, November 2005. pages 32-33.
1954 Keeper removed and beacon automated.
Announcement of lighthouse closure met with protest, concerns about vandalism and neglect.
1966 Hudson River Valley Commission intervened with the Coast Guard in a last minute effort to save the structure. Source: The Hudson River Lighthouses. The Hudson River Valley Commission. The Commission, 1967. page 25.
1967 The Hudson River Valley Commission recommended that the lighthouse be acquired by New York State to transfer to a research institute for use as an environmental studies center. Source: The Hudson River Lighthouses. The Hudson River Valley Commission. The Commission, 1967. page 27.
Reversion clause for Lighthouse property. Source: McKinney’s Consolidated Laws of New York Annotated, Book 56. West Publishing Company, 1918. pages 77-78.
1972 Coast Guard offered lease to Village pending removal of the beacon from the Lighthouse.
1973 Village of Saugerties obtained a temporary 6-year lease to use the Lighthouse as a historical museum. Source: USCG License Number DOT CGD3-20022.
1976 Saugerties Arts Council formed a committee to attempt to save the Lighthouse and restart effort to acquire Lighthouse for purpose of a museum.
Saugerties Arts Council discussed possible future use of the Lighthouse.
1977 “Spoils area” designated Ruth Reynolds Glunt Nature Preserve by Saugerties Arts Council. https://goo.gl/JaXjZ7
1978 Saugerties Arts Council sponsored a site utilization study.
1979 Village of Saugerties renewed its lease for another 3 years. Source: USCG License Number DOT-CCGD3-20138
Building is placed on the National Registry.
1985 Coast Guard begins abandonment proceedings. Source: Kwiatoski, Debbie. “Landmark stirs restoration efforts.” Daily Freeman, Evening edition, May 1, 1985. Page 4.
Lighthouse stabilization is listed as a priority project in the Village’s newly adopted Local Waterfront Revitalization Plan (LWRP)
1990 Aid to Navigation reinstalled in Lighthouse tower.
1994 A Visit to the Saugerties Lighthouse. Source: Mariners weather log / National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Washington, D.C. : Environmental Data and Information Service, Volume 38, 1994. page 34-35.